Department of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry started in the year 2019, has been teaching Engineering Chemistry at the first-year level for all branches of Engineering to give the fundamental knowledge and application of chemistry.
The Chemistry Department recline in an intellectual and physical catenation of the basic sciences and engineering. The Department has well qualified faculty members, having teaching, industrial and vast research experience. In addition to teaching we are conducting our own forms of exciting research, which will lead our faculty and students to innovative across various disciplines of science and engineering. As we continue to advance fundamental knowledge in chemistry and open new perspective in the areas of energy, environment and human health. The Department is actively involved in the research in the field of environment, biosensors, electro analysis and nanomaterials.
The Department of Chemistry strives for an ideal balance between knowledge creation and knowledge, with a focus on student training, academia and Industry.
The Chemistry Department pledges itself to encourage
- Solid foundation in basic concepts and theories as well as dynamic laboratory experiences to students for professional programs, industry and scientific professions.
- Serve as a role models to students for safe and ethical professional behaviour.
|Name||Designation||Areas of Interest||e-mail id|
|Dr. Rudresh Kumar K.J||Assistant Professor and HoD||Neurochemistry, Environmental Chemistry.||rudreshkumarkj.rvitm
|Dr. Samrat Devaramani||Assistant Professor||Electroanalysis, Photo-Electrochemistry||samratd.rvitm
|Sl. No.||Name of the Equipment|
|1||Digital Flame Photometer|
|5||Digital pH Meter|
|7||Hot air oven|
Long Term Goals
- To provide the fundamental knowledge in Science and Technology for the student community for their future ready technologies.
- To build up the department potentially to embark upon research along with academics and motivating the faculty towards high end research projects.
- To encourage the faculty to supervise projects for various branches of engineering students.
- To facilitate the faculty to enhance their knowledge &skills using ICT tools.
- To train the faculty and technical staff to utilize and develop effective teaching-learning modules and to adopt the modern trends in Education Technology concepts and media.
- To update the department library to digital / E-Library with relevant collections of e books for use by students and teachers.
- To encourage teachers to actively take part in arranging National and International level workshops, seminars and conferences.
- To modernize the laboratories in tune with the needs, supporting the students in their projects.
- To initiate research activities at the Inter departmental levels.
- To work towards establishing research centre at the institution.
Short Term Goals
- Train the students in theory and laboratory practices for a thorough understanding of the subject.
- To modernize the research laboratories to take up innovative projects.
- To incorporating latest techniques & methods in academics to enhance the performances &results of students.
Engineering Chemistry (Theory and Practical) for all branches I/II Semester of Engineering Course.
|Dr. Rudresh Kumar K J, Associate Professor & HoD|
|Qualification||M.Sc. (Chemistry), Ph.D.|
|Experience||Teaching: 12 Years. Industry: 03Years
Research: 03 Years
|Areas of Interest||Neurochemistry, Environmental Chemistry.|
|Date of Joining RVITM||01/07/2019|
Two PhD students – on Nanomaterial’s preparations and its application in waste water treatment and Biosensors.
Journal of Water and Health published in by IWA Publishing Journals in association with WHO
List of International Journal publications:
. Kondapura Jayadevappa Rudresh kumar, Vijaya Majumdar, Dindagur Nagaraja, Rita Christopher “Relevance of plasma levels of free homocysteine and methionine as risk predictors for ischemic stroke in the young”, Clinical Nutrition, Vol.37, Issue5, pp1715-1721, Oct 2018. [IF=5.6]
. Venkata Pinnelli Bharatkumar, Kondapura Jayadevappa Rudresh kumar, Dindagur Nagaraja, Rita Christopher “Plasma S-adenosylhomocysteine: A potential risk marker for cerebral venous thrombosis“, Clinica Chimica Acta, Vol. 458, pp 44–48, 2016 [ IF=2.6]
. Rudresh Kumar K.J, T.J Renuka Prasad, “Application of Factor Analysis in the Assessment of Ground Water Quality in Bangalore North Taluk“, International Journal of Advanced Research, Vol. 3, Issue 5, pp1560-1564,2015. [IF=5.3]
. Rudresh Kumar K. J, T.J. Renuka Prasad “SEASONAL VARIATION OF NITRATE IN NATURALWATER OF BANGALORE NORTH “, International Journal of Advanced Research, Vol. 2, Issue 11, pp.1120-1122,2014. [IF=5.3]
. Diwakar, Latha, Rudresh Kumar,K.J, Bachnalkar, Arun, Ravindranath, Vijayalakshmi, Christopher Rita , Nagaraja, Dindagur ,“The influence of MTR A2756G polymorphism on plasma homocysteine in young South Indians“ Clinica Chimica Acta, Vol.395, pp. 172-174, 2008 [ IF=2.6]
- Invited Subject expert in various TV channel (TV9, T9-News, Suvarana, Kasthuri) in the field of water chemistry and Environmental Pollution.
- Two day Workshop on Spectroscopy, HPLC, GC & PCR on 12th& 13th November 2010 at DSC- PG studies.
- One day Seminar on “Leveraging Innovation for Chemical Sciences” on 10thMay 2011on Nano Medicine at DSCE.
- Advances in the Physics of Dielectrics with applications 2nd March 2013 Sponsored by UGC and CPRI held at MES
- Lecture on ” Fundamentals of materials and their application on 19th August 2013 for UG & PG students of Government Science college Bangalore.
- Geo-chemistry of rock and water interaction at Geology department BU on 05/01/2017.
- Interactive lecture series -“Nanotechnology and its applications” at BGS Academy and Research Centre on 28/10/2017.
BOS / BOE
- Worked as BOE member in VTU during the academic year 2010-2011.
Membership in Professional Societies:
- Life Member, Indian Academy of Neurosciences (IAN). [L.M. No: LJ 20]
- Life Member, The Indian Society for Technical Education [ISTE -L..M No:72458]
- Life Member, Luminescence Society of India. [L.M. No: 059]
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)(Former-2008).
- Senior Research Fellowship, ICMR, 2006
|Samrat Devaramani, Assistant Professor|
|Qualification||M.Sc. (Chemistry), Ph.D.|
|Experience||Teaching: 3 Years, Research: 10 Years|
|Areas of Interest||Electroanalysis, Photo-Electrochemistry|
|Date of Joining RVITM||01/07/2019|
|Northwest Normal University, Lanzhou China
Postdoctoral fellow; Advisor: Prof. Xiaoquan Lu
· Investigation of photoinduced charge transfer kinetics of porphyrin and its derivatives at solid – liquid interface using scanning electrochemical microscope (SECM).
|July, 2015- June, 2017
List of International Journal publications:
- Samrat Devaramani, Xiaofang Ma, Shouting Zhang, Mahgoub Ibrahim Shinger, Dongdong Qin, Duoliang Shan, and Xiaoquan Lu, “Photo-Switchable and Wavelength Selective Axial Ligation of Thiol Appended Molecules to Zinc Tetraphenylporphyrin: Spectral and Charge Transfer Kinetics Studies”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol.121, pp 9729–9738, 2017 (I.F = 4.45).
- Samrat Devaramani, Mahgoub Ibrahim Shinger, Xiaofang Ma, Shouting Zhang, Dongdong Qin, Duoliang Shan, and Xiaoquan Lu, “Porphyrin Cofacial, Coherent Aggregates Decorated MWCNT Film for Solar Light Harvesting: Influence of J- and H- Aggregation on the Charge recombination resistance, Photocatalysis, and Photoinduced Charge Transfer Kinetics,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 19, pp. 18232-18242, 2017 (I.F = 4.1).
- Samrat Devaramani, and Pandurangappa Malingappa, “Covalent anchoring of cobalt hexacyanoferrate particles on graphitic carbon: A simple and renewable robust pellet electrode as an electrochemical interface for amperometric quantification of sulfite,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 231, pp.650 – 658, 2017 (I.F = 4.8)
- Samrat Devaramani, Muralikrishna Shriramareddygari, M. Radhakrishna Reddy, and Thippeswamy Ramakrishnappa, “Covalently anchored p-aminobenzene sulfonate multilayer on a graphite pencil lead electrode: A Highly selective electrochemical sensor for dopamine,” Electroanalysis, vol. 29, pp. 1410-1417, 2017 (I.F = 2.4)
- Samrat Devaramani, and Pandurangappa Malingappa, “Synthesis and Characterization of cobalt nitroprusside nano particles: Application to sulfite sensing in food and water samples,” Electrochimica Acta, 2,vol. 85, pp. 579-587, 2012 (I.F. = 4.8)
- LingxiaJi, Samrat Devaramani, Xiang Mao, Zhen Zhang, Dongdong Qin,Duoliang Shan, Shouting Zhang, and Xiaoquan Lu, “Behaviors of the Interfacial Consecutive Multistep Electron Transfer Controlled by Varied Transition Metal Ions in Porphyrin Cores,” J. Phys. Chem. B, vol. 121, pp. 9045–9051, 2017 (I.F.= 3.17)
- G. puttaiah, S. Devaramani C. T. Gujjarahalli, “α -MoO3 nanoparticles: Solution combustion synthesis, photocatalytic and electrochemical properties,” RSC Advances, vol. 4, pp. 56784-56790, 2014 (I.F. = 3.289)
- Jing Zhang, Samrat Devaramani, Duoliang Shan, and Xiaoquan Lu, “Electrochemiluminescence behavior of meso-tetra (4-sulfonatophenyl)porphyrin in aqueous medium: its application for highly selective sensing of nanomolar Cu2+,” Analalytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 408, pp. 7155 – 7163, 2016 (I.F. = 3.125).
- Xiaoyu yan, Samrat Devaramani, Dongdong Qin, Jing Chen, Duoliang Shan, Qin Ma, and Xiao-Quan Lu, “Self-supported rectangular CoP Nanosheet arrays Grown on Carbon Cloth as an Efficient Electrocatalyst for Hydrogen Evolution Reaction Over a variety of pH values,” New Journal of Chemistry, vol. 41, pp. 2436 – 2442, 2017 (I.F. = 3.2).
- Huan Wang, Guiqiang Pu, Samrat Devaramani, Yanfeng Wang, Zhaofan Yang, Linfang Li, Xiaofang Ma, and Xiaoquan Lu, “Bimodal Electrochemiluminescence of G-CNQDs in the Presence of Double Coreactants for Ascorbic Acid Detection,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 90, pp. 4871–4877, 2018 (F. = 6.3)
- Xingming Ning, Wenqi Li, Yao Meng, Dongdong Qin, Jing Chen, Xiang Mao, ZhonghuaXue, Duoliang Shan, Samrat Devaramani, and Xiaoquan Lu, “New Insight into Procedure of Interface Electron Transfer through Cascade System with Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity,” Small, vol. 14, pp. 1703989, 2018 (I.F. = 8.3)
- Xiaofang Ma, Jing Chen, Yali Wu, Samrat Devaramani, Xiaoyan Hu, Qixia Niu, CaizhongZhang, DuoliangShan, HuanWang, and XiaoquanLu, “π-π nanoassembly of water-soluble metalloporphyrin of ZnTCPP on RGO/AuNPs/CS nanocomposites for photoelectrochemical sensing of hydroquinone,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 820, pp. 123-131, 2018 (I.F. = 3.05)
- Samrat Devaramani, Ramakrishnappa Thippeswamy, and Nathan S Lawrence, “Size reduced iron nitroprusside particles: An electrochemical mediator for the determination of peroxodisulfate and nitrite,” Journal of Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 26, pp. 521-530, 2015 (I.F. = 1.5)
- Muralikrishna, K. Manjunath, D. Samrat, Viswanath Reddy, T. Ramakrishnappa, and D. H. Nagaraju, “Hydrothermal synthesis of 2D MoS2 nanosheets for electrocatalytic hydrogen evolution reaction,” RSC Advances, vol. 5, pp. 89389 – 89396, 2015 (I.F. = 3.289).
- Xiaofang Ma, Yali Wu, Samrat Devaramani, Caizhong Zhang, QixiaNiu, Mahgoub Ibrahim Shinger, Wenqi Li, Duoliang Shan, and Xiaoquan Lu, “Preparation of GO–COOH/AuNPs/ZnAPTPP Nanocomposites based on the π–π Conjugation: Efficient interface for Low-Potential Photoelectrochemical sensing of 4-nitrophenol,” Talanta, vol. 178, pp. 962-969, 2018 (I.F. = 3.45)
- Samrat Devaramani, Jagadeesha Malleshappa, Sureshkumar Kempahanumakkagari, Ramakrishnappa Thippeswamy, and Pandurangappa Mahalingappagari, “Synthesis of Nickel Nitroprusside Coordination Nanoparticles by Simple Means: Its Characterization and Use as Electrochemical Sensor for Sulfide Estimation in Sewage and Water Samples,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 9,pp. 4692 – 4708, 2014 (I.F. = 1.5)
- Mahgoub Ibrahim Shinger,Ahmed Mahmoud Idris, Samrat Devaramani, Dong Dong Qin, Hind Baballa, Duoliang Shan, and Xiaoquan Lu, “In situ-ion exchange method fabricated GO-Ag3PO4@AgBr composite with enhanced photocatalytic activity under simulated sunlight,” Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, vol. 5, pp. 1526-1535, 2017 (I.F.=1.42)
- Xiaoyu Yan, Tao Liu, Jun Jin, Samrat Devaramani, Dongdong Qin, and Xiaoquan Lu, “Well dispersed Pt–Pd bimetallic nanoparticles on functionalized graphene as an excellent electro-catalyst towards electro-oxidation of methanol,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 770, pp. 33 – 38, 2016 (I.F.=2.822)
- Qiao-Ling Ma, Hong Xia, Shou-Ting Zhang, Dong-Dong Qin, Samrat Devaramani, Duo-Liang Shan, and Xiao-Quan Lu, “Investigation of Proton-Driven Amine Functionalized Tube Array as Ion Responsive Biomimetic Nanochannels,” RSC Advances, vol. 6, pp. 12249-12255, 2016 (I.F. = 3.289)
- Malingappa Pandurangappa, and Devaramani Samrat, “Micellar-mediated extractive spectrophotometric method for the determination of Hydrogen sulfide/sulfide through Prussian blue reaction: Application to environmental samples,” Analytical Sciences, vol. 26, pp. 83-87, 2010 (I.F. = 1.3)
- Tao Liu, Xiaoyu Yan, Pinxian Xi, Jing Chen, Dongdong Qin, Duoliang Shan, Samrat Devaramani, and Xiaoquan Lu, “NickeleCobalt phosphide nanowires supported on Ni foam as a highly efficient catalyst for electrochemical hydrogen evolution reaction,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 42, pp. 14124-14132, 2017 (I.F. = 3.58)
- Samrat Devaramani, and Pandurangappa Malingappa, “Micelle Mediated Trace Level Sulfide Quantification through Cloud Point Extraction,” The ScientificWorld Journal, pp. 1-8, 2012
- PandurangappaMalingappa, and Samrat Devaramani, “Surfactant mediated sulfide estimation at trace level: Application to environmental samples,” Journal of Analytical Chemistry, vol. 67, pp. 761-766, 2012 (I.F. = 0.6)
- XiaoQuan Lu, SamratDevaramani, Electrochemical investigation of porphyrin and its derivatives at various interfaces, Book: Phthalocyanines and some current applications, Intech publishers, ISBN 978-953-51-3256-1, DOI: 10.5772/67637
List of Invited Talks
- “Semiconductor Quantum Dots: Photochemical Properties and Applications” in The 1st Northwestern International Electrochemistry Symposium, 17-06-2016, Northwest Normal University, Lanzhou, Gansu, China
- “Introduction to Nanosensors and their Application”, 07/08/2018, BMS Institute of Technology and Management, Yelahanka, Bengaluru, India
- “Fundamentals and Applications of Electroanalysis” in One – day national seminar on recent trends in chemistry, 28/01/2019, PG Department of Chemistry, Laxminarayana Arts and Science College for Women, Dharmapuri, Tamil Nadu, India
- Senior Research Fellowship, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, 2011
Non-Teaching/Technical Staff Details
|Mr. Chennappa M C||Diploma||Assistant Instuctor|